Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Soldier Series: Sgt. Esenwein


Sgt. Esenwein is the first soldier I interviewed for a personality feature this deployment. My intention is to do at least one of these stories a week. I can’t get to everybody, but I think this was a good way to start things off.

In these couple paragraphs I’ll write about a few things that didn’t make it into the story. I hope to be able to do this for every story.

Sgt. Esenwein is the epitome of a crew-chief. We probably got interrupted during the interview at least five times. Soldiers needed to know where to find parts, what to do with the anti-fold compressor wrench [yes, I made that up] and all sorts of things that make about as much sense as a flux capacitor. The language these repairers speak is Greek to most people. Not only are they turning wrenches, but they’re turning them on some of the most advanced technology in the world.

It’s not the first time he’s turned the wrench, either. Sgt. Esenwein is one of many repairers, many soldiers, who has deployed in all stages of the Iraq war. The CAB is full of soldiers who have seen the war from beginning to end.

Everyone’s ready for the end. But no one is calling it quits early.

Spc. Roland Hale


No comments:

Post a Comment